I have finally come round to sharing my simple way of making this popular snack known by different names in different parts of Africa (Mikate, beignets, puff puff,togbei)
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
2 cups of self-raising flour (IKEA KALAS CUP)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
5 tablespoons of sugar
1 and 1/2 cup of lukewarm water
2 and 1/2 IKEA kalas cups of oil (I use vegetable or sunflower oil for frying)
Although there’re many different ways to make this snack, I have only shared the basic ingredients needed, a beginners guide sort of thing. Perhaps I’ll share the various ingredients that can be included in the dough mix on another post in the future.
- Add flour, salt & sugar in a bowl and mix together.
- Then add water and mix well with a whisker (make sure dough is sticky, add a little more flour if dough is runny)
- add oil to the pan and bring to heat for 5 mins on medium heat.
- gather some dough mix on the tip of your fingers ( you can also use a spoon) and drop in heated oil
- Allow dough balls to fry for 3 to 4 mins until brown, they tend to flip over themselves but just in case this does not happen, you can manually turn them.
- Drain and put dough balls aside in a different bowl- repeat the process until dough mix is finished.
Simple and straightforward! You can also check out the video version of this guide here.
Happy cooking & thanks for stopping by! 🙂