I love food and cooking so today I’d like to share with you how I made my oxtail with butter beans! A lot of people think cooking is time-consuming but really the secret is PREPARATION, once you’ve mastered this cooking shouldn’t be a burden… well unless you absolutely despise cooking! *covers face*
2 cartons of organic butter bean in water
1 Red onion (you can also use regular onion)
Tomato puree (3-4 tsps)
2 big fresh tomatoes (you can also use half a tin of chopped or peeled tomatoes)
1 Red pepper
Garlic/Ginger paste (1 or 2 tsps)
Knorr vegetable cubes (1 cube)
IN THE POT:
Once you have washed your oxtail meat well,
- Add fresh tomatoes in blender along with the tomato puree, sliced red pepper & garlic paste
- add the blended contents in a pot and add flavourings (sprinkle to your taste)
- add chopped/sliced onions & spring onion (mine are frozen)
- add 5 cups of water (IKEA KALAS cup) & bring to boil on medium heat for 2 hours occasionally checking that meat has softened, continue to add water until meat is soft.
- rinse butter beans & add to the pot – add 2 cups of water and simmer on low heat for 30mins checking and turning occasionally.
It takes a long time for oxtail to soften so patience is key! This meal took approximately 3 hours to make, it all depends on how soft you like your meat (I like mine falling off the bone)
You can enjoy this meal with:
- naan bread
- roasted or boiled potatoes
- boiled plantain
- or even on its own!
Tip- if you have a slow cooker, just chuck all ingredients & flavouring in and leave to cook. You’ll still end up with the same result! 🙂
Happy cooking & thanks for stopping by!